Tuesday, September 4, 2012

For $250, I Would Have Liked A Little Foreplay

Don't ya' think my uterus is sexy?
Today I went to my very high profile, expensive Doctor for a scan. He was not as pleased to see me as I had hoped he would be.

I just assumed that giving him $250 for an initial 5 minutes of conversation and a further 5 minutes of him sticking a phallic-shaped, condom covered camera up my va-jay-jay (thanks Oprah) would make him cheerful beyond measure.

From what I can tell it's a hellava lot better than anything those girls are getting down on Canterbury road for a similar experience, though I concede they don't have the Harbour views that I enjoyed during my 'special time'.

But then, what do I know?

Last time I saw him (over a year ago) he was trying to convince me to do some very expensive IVF-type option where they take my eggs, hubby's sperm and find the best of the best, and insert them into me for fertilization. His reasoning was that I keep miscarrying - no one knows why - so maybe if they select the cream of the crop it wont happen.

The problem is in all my testing, never has even one come back with any kind of chromosonal abnormality (well nothing other than the obvious - being the offspring of my husband and I it was always going to have marked physical and emotional limitations).

To me, it was a moneymaking suggestion - great for him but with no guarantee for me. So we didn't do it and apparently he's not happy. I realized exactly HOW unhappy when he said (and I quote here):

"Well, you may get a baby out of this, but it may not be the one you want."

(Referring to my age, the fact that I didn't use his selection services and as a result there may end up being something wrong with this child in some way.)

Nice.

His bedside manner could probably use a little work, but hey, who am I to judge? He's the one raking in a cool million plus a year while women like me throw our hard-earned dollars at him in a desperate bid to hear the words we want to, so he's obviously doing something right.

In the end he scanned me which it what I wanted. It's there, we saw a very faint flickering heartbeat and it was measuring 5 weeks 5 days. A little bean of a thing that looked kind of like wallaby poop.

Who knows where me and my potential little missing chromosome will go from here?

Stay tuned.



12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm glad you got your scan ok - but if his bedside manner is this awful do you really want to spend all that time (and money) with him as you continue on through the pregnancy? There's got to be someone equally awesome in reputation not just for their skills as a DR but as a human. If not - if you do stay with him, do it because it's the best quality of care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment, you're right, I'm definitely not going back to him - he was much nicer when he thought I might use his more expensive services (though he's made a few thousand from me in the past year through visits and testing alone - so it's not been a total loss for him!) I have a scan next week with a new OB I'm (hopefully) going to use the rest of the way through. Thanks for the kind thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey there, just found your blog glad I did. Congrats!

    as I read this, pretty sure my eyes popped out of my head at the doctor's comment. Seriously, wtf? who SAYS that?

    I don't like that guy one bit.

    Hope all continues to go well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the lovely comment and well wishes! Yeah, I have moved on from that doc and see my new one for the first time tomorrow - lucky or him he doesn't have to be that great to beat out the last guy! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi there! I just found your blog through LFCA. I can relate to some of what you are going though. I have had 3 miscarriages in a row with only the last one being "explained" as a random chromosomal issue. All my other RPL testing/karyotyping came back normal. I am pregnant for the 4th time right now, so I can relate to all of your emotions! So scared and anxious and just waiting for the rug to be ripped out from under us again. Congrats on your pregnancy! I am not sure why some doctors and nurses feel like they always have to have a gloom and doom outlook. Not the kind of "support" we need at times like these. Best of luck to you! I am excited to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment. I'm so sorry about your losses. Does an 'explanation' make it any easier? I doubt it. I'm excited for you that you are pregnant, how far along are you? I hope you have a blog too so I can follow what's going on with you - it would be 'nice' (is that a word that makes any sense in these situations?) to keep up with someone in the same position and keep everything crossed that perhaps this time will be our miracle! Sending you all the good vibes I can muster...

      Delete
  5. Just found you on LFCA and I just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your pregnancy. Sorry your doctor seems to want to push you in a direction that you don't desire. Hope everything turns out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words, Im so excited to 'meet' others through LFCA and share our (hopefully successful) journeys to motherhood!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your pregnancy! :). Your doctor is a jack@ss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Hilarious. Yes he was a total Jack@ass. As a result, he is no longer my doctor. Thanks for the congrats and the comment, I'm off to check out your blog!

      Delete
  7. Hi! Good to meet you! I also have had my share of rude doctors. It is totally worth it to find one who is good and decent to you. Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. I cant wait to follow your blog also, its been so amazing logging in and seeing all these comments from people in similar situations. Nothing like a sisterhood - even if its one you wish you didnt have to belong to! Yeah the doc was a jerk, Ive moved on and have my next appointment for a scan tomorrow (7 weeks 6 days) with my new doc. We'll see what he's like, Ive heard good things so fingers crossed!

      Delete